If you are someone who frequently spends time hiking, or in the woods then compass is one essential that you cannot just forget to pack. Hence if you have a conventional compass device that you must pack each time you are out on the road then it is time that you ditch it because with a smart phone, you simply don’t need the weight of a compass on you anymore. There are multiple apps for a compass and this article enlists some of the Best Compass Apps for both Android and iDevices that you can instantly download.
If you are an Apple user then you must know that all iPhone now come equipped with a built-in compass which you can find in your Extras folder or your Utilities folder. All you have to do is follow the shown prompts for the calibration of the compass especially when you are using it for the very first time.
1. The Best Compass App: Compass
If you wish to own a compass app that works for free on your Android devices to be used during camps, off road tours or other adventures or for letting your friends know your whereabouts then “Compass” app definitely fits the profile.
- Compass makes use of your mobile network and the GPS location services to find the “true north”
- It can easily locate your magnetic north and will display the strength of the magnetic field to check for any possible interference.
- You will be able to copy, access and share your exact coordinates on the map.
- It isn’t compatible with any of the Apple devices.
- If you put your phone’s display on landscape, you will not be able to view all the icons and your exact directions for calibration of the compass.
- The app also needs to be calibrated every now and then.
2. Best Compass App for Off-Road: Smart Compass
This Android app is essentially a branch of the collection of the Smart Tools apps which provides useful apps such as the metal detector, space measurement apps etc.
- This particular app for Android devices comprises of a telescope as well as night vision, mode for Google maps that can be switched to street map view or satellite map view.
- Standard mode of this app makes use of your camera to get a real view of your direction.
- The app also has a GPS speedometer in addition to the option for screen capture.
- Cannot be downloaded on Apple devices.
- If you wish to get rid of the advertisements in between, you will need to purchase a premium version of this app.
3. Best Compass App for Exploration: Digital Compass
This is an Apple app which gives many choices and outdoor expedition options.
- This app contains up to 10 various options for the compasses.
- In addition to your current location and true north direction, you can use this app to open up the map and access the direction of your selected location to where you are headed.
- The app also has a drop down list of many cities across the globe so that you can view their orientation from your present location.
- Cannot be downloaded on Android phones or tablets.
- To get rid of the on screen advertisements, you will have to purchase its premium version.
4. Best Compass App for Boating: Compass Steel 3D
This app will pop open a request for permission which you must not worry about. This app will need to access the exact coordinates of your location to conduct proper calculations and you will need these when you are stuck in the middle of a water body such as a river or a sea.
- When you turn or tilt your phone in your hand, this compass app will move around in three dimensions just like a real compass device will move in your palm.
- You will be provided both true north and magnetic field (the app will contain the variation) and you do not need internet access or network services for this compass app to operate properly in middle of the sea.
- You may need to calibrate it frequently.
- It cannot be downloaded on your Apple devices.